Need a better update system

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Need a better update system

Postby Adrien B. » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:39 pm

Hello,

Could it be possible to modify the auto update system so that it doesn't ask you what, and where you want to install, extensions, etc... and also to make it download the localized version (as the one already installed) instead of the english version ?

Thanks, and best regards.

Adrien
Adrien B.

Re: Need a better update system

Postby marii » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:55 pm

[quote="Adrien B."]Could it be possible to modify the auto update system so that it doesn\'t ask you what, and where you want to install, extensions, etc... [/quote]

I agree. But the most important thing for me - it is ABSOLUTELY neccessary you to GUARANTEE that I will have my Offline Contents available after each new upgrade!

I asked You about this problem already some month ago. http://www.nabocorp.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=562 . Still no answer from you :(. After that I have cataloged my CD-s/DVD-s again. And it was OK after one or two following updates. Unfortunately with the last update (to 4.5.2) - they are gone AGAIN!

I like Your software very much. But this is too much for me now ... if I know it could happen again and again, I have to find another software to use for archieving purposes :(.

marii@very.disappointed
marii

Postby tsehov » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:31 pm

Did You Export your settings including database before installing a newer version of cam2pc? And then, did You import your settings to new version? And still database is gone?

I have my cam2pc database on a separate partition and I find this solution very handy e.g. when restoring the whole system partition from image file.
tsehov

Postby marii » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:16 am

[quote=\\\\\"tsehov\\\\\"]Did You Export your settings including database before installing a newer version of cam2pc? And then, did You import your settings to new version? And still database is gone?

I have my cam2pc database on a separate partition and I find this solution very handy e.g. when restoring the whole system partition from image file.[/quote]

No. As there are no excact instructions given how to upgrade (given from software creator and not from another users) it seems for me it has no sence to try some tricks to get my data available. I find it HAS to be guaranteed from software creator. Suppose they will have changed all their upgrade and database system tomorrow ... was then?

Besides, there are no information from software creator about cam2pc database at all. Or at least I have found nothing. The opposite - the database is actually hidden in windows!?! I have installed cam2pc on a separate partition (not c: ) too, but because of that the database is very big and I don\\\\\\\'t want it to take too much place away on my small und fast c: drive.

And IF I really have to export/import some settings, I want to have _exact_ instructions. It is not a game or a groupwork - I don\\\\\\\'t have to find out by myself, how this thing is working. It is a shareware product and if I have choosen this one then not for a fun but I need it. It is too unpleasent to risk to loose work I have already done with each next upgrade. So please exact instructions what to do with cam2pc database and what exactly means \\\\\"export/import settings\\\\\" and how it works (is there a new file for export settings? A very big (with all thumbnails) or a small one? Will it be with the same name after next upgrade? .../and some other questions/.

Actually I still think it has be programmed as a part of upgrade system. There should be a system to temporarily export and then import my settings without me, if this is neccessary. All the software upgrades are working this way ...

mari
marii

Postby nabocorp » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:33 am

Hello,

the thumbnail database is supposed to be automatically upgraded from one version to the other. If this does not happen correctly then it means that a bug was not found during testing. I will make sure the next upgrade makes a backup of the database before upgrading to be able to fix any upgrade bug.

You can move the thumbnail database wherever you want on your hard disk. Just go the Optimize Database dialog (in the tools menu and click the Move button and then Close).

As for the update that gets the good language this will be in done in version 5. Note that upgrading from version 4 to version 5 will still download the wrong file as the bug is in cam2pc 4 and needs to be fixed before. I may do a 4.5.3 patch with this (and some other things) to make sure that the upgrade from 4 to 5 goes smoothly.

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Return to cam2pc